The Western English Language Centre at Western University in London, Canada, is looking to hire a dynamic and talented Marketing Officer to join its China-based team in Beijing. This role will lead WELC’s marketing, branding, and digital engagement efforts in China, and will assist WELC’s in-country Program Officer with student recruitment and relationship management.
Profile of Candidate
The ideal candidate has significant experience operating China-based social media platforms (WeChat, Weibo, Youku), ideally for promoting a foreign educational institution or a business involved in international education. Experience in student recruitment would be viewed as a distinct advantage for this position. The candidate must have exceptionally creative skills with a flair for designing posts that appeal to a target audience and inspire that audience to engage. Relationship building is also an important part of the role and the ideal candidate has excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and an ability to communicate effectively with a wide varieties of stakeholders. The Marketing Officer will assist WELC’s Beijing-based Program Officer with the implementation of the Centre’s conversation strategies and as such will be expected to travel periodically to visit WELC’s partners.
- Create and execute marketing and communications strategies to advance the recruitment success and positive branding reach of WELC in China.
- Work intensively with the WELC Marketing and Recruitment teams in London and the Program Office team in China to understand WELC’s target audience and stakeholders on and off campus.
- Assist with the implementation of conversion strategies using online and offline communications tactics, helping turn applicants into enrolled students.
- Manage WELC’s China social media platforms including:
- Creating multimedia content for WeChat and Youku
- Coming up with creative ideas for online campaigns
- Monitoring WELC’s reputation online across websites, social media, forums, etc. and providing a timely response as appropriate
- Composing reports on social media interaction on a quarterly basis
- Working with WELC’s marketing team to ensure an effective communications plan for social media
- Monitoring student queries via the student life cycle.
- Respond to inquiries from agents, high schools, and students, providing an engaging interaction that helps to forge a bond with WELC.
- Assist with the creation and execution of offline or online events.*
- Assist with the development of compelling marketing content.
- Liaise with WELC’s agent network with periodic travel to train counsellors.*
- Provide support as necessary when the China Program Officer is travelling.
Note the role is not limited to the above requirements.
*These activities will involve some domestic travel within China
- Outstanding communication skills
- Fluency in English.
- A creative flair
- Highly organised with the ability to multitask
- High attention to detail
- Hardworking and persistent
- Team player.
The Most Suitable Background:
- Bachelor’s degree with strong academic performance.
- Marketing or communications qualifications would be an advantage.
- Strong English language skills. Proficient in business report writing. Able to discuss marketing strategy and analysis with English speakers. English ability equivalent to IELTS score 7.0.
- Strong Chinese writing skills. Proficient in English to Chinese translation.
- Expertise in WeChat editing tools. Expertise in Photoshop, video editing or H5 creation preferred.
- Study or experience abroad strongly preferred.
- Voluntary or other life experience that demonstrates creativity, hard work, persistence or drive to succeed.
- At least 2-3 years related marketing experience.
- Student recruitment experience would be an advantage.